Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Quilt Made With Love, By Mom



Im not sure when the Quilt came into my life, I believe she made it for me before I was married, I don’t remember a time when I didn’t have it
It adorned our bed. I showed it off with pride year after year. It aged and faded, It moved down to second place . A new, even prettier Quilt she made, took its place.
The years passed, the Quilt is worn thin, almost through in places. It moves to the linen closet, coming out only when needed on those cold nights when one of us can’t sleep and we doze on the sofa.
Then the Quilt finds a new purpose, one of its most important, second only to keeping us warm. It’s laid out in the yard as a soft place for our dear dog to reset her ill body. We hug her there, finding comfort in the familiar soft flannel. The Quilt brings her home from the hospital in style and absorbs my tears as I watch her slip away.
I wash it again, always thinking this will be the last of it. One of these times It will come out in pieces, but it gets folded and put away.
The Quilt has a new purpose, a new puppy to hold in its warmth, she loves the pink ties. She comes running into the room with white batting in her mouth, we laugh and chase her, she runs to the Quilt.
The Quilt Can’t be washed again, but like an old flag, it can’t be thrown away.
It’s neatly folded and placed where hands and paws won’t reach for it again.
The Life Of A Quilt Made With Love ,By Mom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home