Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mom's Poem


Mom, a simple three letter word no longer mine to say. I thought of that as I watched her slip away.
Did she love me from the very start, unanswered questions now remain only in my heart.
I knelt at her bed telling her of the blue sky and perfect spring day, of all the flowers that would soon be coming our way.
Her work here is done, her children all grown,
two sons have already been called home.
Countless dresses, bathrobes and quilts have
all been sewn.
Peace from the pain was all I asked. I wonder, was being with her at the last, to be my life's task
Tears stream down my cheeks, ones I had been holding back for weeks.
Here and gone, no fuss, Is that all there is of us.
When I close my eyes I see her big beautiful smile, the one that seemed to go on for a mile.
Her hand stroking a feline with love
and her soul soaring high on the wings of a dove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home