Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I wonder where I would be today if it were not for the dogs

So many times over these past years of being ill I thought, "I would just stay in bed if it were not for the dogs" Shortly after being diagnosed with shingles in my right eye, the doctors decided that the antiviral medicine was not working, and ordered me to have IV infusions of antivirals, this meant going to the hospital at 6 AM, 2 PM and 10 PM every day for 14 days, I was exhausted and all I wanted to do in-between the infusions was sleep, but with the help of the dogs and their routine, I managed to go to work in the morning and take them for walks. I needed to work and walk, as I am a creature of habit too, and I don't like not doing my normal daily routine. During these infusions I learned a lot of things I could have done without, how busy the emergency room is on a Friday night, and how many people have to sit in an infusion center in the afternoon, getting all different treatments, some don't get to stop like I did, I was one of the lucky ones. Today I look back and wonder how I survived all of the trips to doctors and the repeated shots in my eye, but I always come back to the wonderful distraction of the dogs. They truly take my pain away and make life feel simple and relaxed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home