Friday, April 27, 2007

New Poem Written for Shadow



Under The Dogwood Tree

A small fuzzy pup, black and tan with ears that barely stood up. One big brown eyed look was all it took, she had me hooked. I would promise from this day forward to feed and nurture her, walk and train her, this the job of a woman who a pup has.

Little did I know in her cute fluffy frame, hid the heart of a lion. With leash in hand, our life together began. Tug on toy's, not pant legs. Come when Called, sleep when put to bed, stay close to home. Don't chase the horses, cow's or cat's. All seemed normal things to ask. Nothing I did took hold, this pup was so fierce and bold.

Time passed, changes came to us both. My voice calm and quiet and she with her howling hello. To say I gave up would be wrong, but give in, right on.

Over our years together she was my constant companion and friend. She took me places where trees grew tall and flowers wild. Water in falls and quiet ponds. Steep mountains that required stopping to reset before reaching the crest. Her head out the window with wind rushing past her, even on the coldest days, this I gave. My promised words empty, when all it really took was one word, unspoken, love.

On her final day, I promised again, to see her go from this life, right to the very end. She rode in the truck and ate donuts for lunch. I cried endlessly, angry that I couldn't hide my pain on this day, our last. Her head in my lap, my hand stroking her beautiful fur, I told stories about this fierce pup, strong as a lion, who never gave up. To feel her heart not more tore me like nothing ever had before.

A dogwood tree we planted above her as marker. Below, my tears mixed with earth and her ashes. Each spring the tree blooms, large pink flowers we admire. I feel her there, I feel her everywhere. she changed who I am~~~~~~~

I stood next to the dogwood tree a few days ago, wondering how I will leave it behind when we move. Avery came up to me an poked me in the leg. I know Avery was sent to heal my broken heart. Lance had a great idea, dig deep around the dogwood tree, take some of the earth and plant it with a new tree at our new house, that made me feel better. He always makes me feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home