Monday, August 11, 2008

Brothers


This is my brother Jon when he was hrmmm 17 I would guess. He's got his motorcycle packed and is riding to a lake to camp. He did that a lot. This picture was taken outside of the house I grew up in, the church in the back ground is the one Lance and I got married in. The car was my folks, before or after this picture, I took Jon out and let him drive that car and we got in a wreck, neither of us were hurt, so the folks didn't really mind.
I spent time with Jon this weekend and as always, I cherish every minute of it. I feel as at home and comfortable with him as I do with my dogs, that is saying a lot, ha ha ha. Jon has overcome a lot in his life, he beat the odds. We had two other brothers, Joel was our oldest, he died at the age of 32, in the year 1989, he took his own life. Jay was my middle brother, the died at the age of 40, in 1998 of a drug over dose. Jay and I were only 2 years apart and close growing up, but I saw his death coming, so it seemed less painful, but only in the longevity of grief, not severity. Joel was the forever funny guy, always making people laugh. I use to worry about Jon, a lot, but realized I was wasting our time together with my worries, so now I just enjoy him. You cant bring people back, but you can learn from the experience and from them, in life and death. You never stop learning, in your mind and your heart. Jay taught me hard work and kindness. Joel taught me to search for more than the eye can see, but to enjoy whats right in front of you as you travel. I use to go to the cemetery a lot and visit with my brothers, but notice after Mom died year before last, I don't go much anymore. I decided its because she's there taking care of them. My job is done. Some day we'll all meet up again and have a good laugh. Today I am thankful for Life, Love and Laughter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Death is a hard thing to deal with sometimes, especially when it comes to someone close to us. I've experienced a family member dying a handful of times, but it hasn't gotten any easier to go through. In times like those, I think a solid belief in something is one of the only ways to get through such difficulties.

I'm so glad you got to spend time with your brother. He's lucky to have you.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home