Saturday, March 21, 2009

Just A Dog


This was a musing in the pet press from our local humane society and it spoke to me in several different ways.
From time to time people tell me, lighten up, it's just a dog or that's a lot of money for just a dog.
They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for just a dog.
Some of my proudest moments have come about with just a dog. Many hours have passed and my only company was just a dog, but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moment's have been brought about by just a dog and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of just a dog gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you too, think it's just a dog, then you will probably understand phrases like just a friend, just a sunrise or just a promise. Just a dog brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust and pure unbridled joy. Just a dog brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of a dog I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, its not just a dog, but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past and the pure joy of the moment. Just a dog bring s out what is good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its not just a dog, but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being just a person. So that the next time you hear the phrase just a dog, just smile, because they just don't understand.

This week was difficult , to say the least. A long time employee and friend of ours had a massive heart attack, on the job. They didn't expect him to recover. I had to look in his lunch box for his wallet in hopes it would hold some info on where his wife worked, the first thing I saw when I opened the box was the light blue card from the vet , saying it was time for Charlie (their black lab) to get his shots. I broke down and cried a river. We had just talked about that the week before as we use the same vet. The dogs were what he and I always talked about. His Charlie is just a little younger than my Avery. Today their calling his recovery a miracle. He woke up with no sign of brain damage and kissed his wife and son.

Today, I am most thankful for the fact that life can change in a moment. Charlie will have his Dad back and I didnt have to put on that awful black skirt and jacket, but instead get to take pretty spring flowers to my friend and welcome him back. Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Life With Dogs said...

It's never just a dog :)

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home