Thursday, June 28, 2007

Perfect Dog Day

The dog days of summer are upon us and my three are slowing down in preperation. Traz is still having a lot of trouble walking and he's sleeping a lot. He and I are taking each day for what it is and like we decided today, He can run, chase a stick and play with Avery, so life is still Ok for Traz. Nixie is feeling good the past 2 days, she even has some hair growing back on her ears. I got to keep her the other morning as Lance had a full work day, that was a joy. I miss having her close. Avery, my 0 my I love this little guy. We are working on meeting and greeting people and other dogs this week, he is doing great. A little stand offish at first , but always friendly. A lady at the park to day commented on his name , Saying oh, Avery like the park. I said, yes that's where I got him, from some homeless people. She said, oh that's nice they gave him to you. For the first time I said, no, they really only gave him to me to take to the Vet, but I kept him. Her response was nice, "you did a good thing, how could you give him back". I thought, right, how could I, but I felt guilty for keeping Avery, really I did. I know in my heart of hearts I did what was best for Avery, but at the same time I knew the minute I saw him I couldn't ever return him to those people. He was sick, skinny, hairless and cried non-stop because of the pain he was in, day and night. It took weeks before he stopped the crying and longer before he stopped growling. I just now trust him, fully. He is in so many ways like my Shadow dog. Lance and I even joke and call him Shadow. After I took Avery in Lance said, you know you have a heart the size of Texas and a brain the size of Delaware. I find that to be a compliment! ha ha ha. Avery makes me laugh and want to play in the sunshine. What more could a person ask for!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

It sounds like Avery is just the opposite of Celeste. She's not shy at all. I'm glad Traz is still feeling good enough to play some. I know you felt guilt at not returning the dog, but what if you had left him with them? He might not have survived at all. You did the right thing. They couldn't take care of him. Now he has a loving family and he is SAFE.

What happened to the hair on Nixie's ears? Is it the heat?

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home