Saturday, August 18, 2007

Lazy-Long-Dog-Days

The picture is Nixie around 6 months old, with Traz, of course. You couldn't separate the two. They loved playing and laying together. Her ears were so huge! I remember the lady that works at the park calling her little donkey, Nixie liked it! We still see her from time to time, but not near like back when Shadow was alive. I think she works at more than just Avery park now. Nixie went to the vet again today, Lance took her today. Her skin has gotten so much worse lately. The vet said on a scale of 1 to 10 , Nixie is a 12. That made me feel like crying. I know a few months ago we decided to let her live her life more, let her play outdoors more and eat what she wanted. We knew this might be trouble, but at least she would have some fun. She is acting so much better and playing with the other dogs again. We got some new medicines and more antibiotics and will continue what we've been doing with the weekly bathing. Our next option is a clinic in Portland that could test her for 90 different things that she might be allergic to. Its complicated and she would have to be put under and stay over night there. I swore to myself and my future dogs that I wouldn't put another through what I put my Shadow through, with all of the testing and surgery, just to die a couple of months later anyway. I am going to search my soul, dig deeper than ever before and decide what is right for Nixie. She has fought a good fight and if she lets me know she is done, I can and will let her go, I love her that much.
Today I am thankful for having this whole day to just "be" with my family. Enjoy the little things for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

This makes me feel so sad - poor Nixie. Maybe it's the heat? Will she go swimming? Does it happen in the winter? Wow, she was so beautiful as a baby...and still is as an adult. How is Traz doing? and Avery?

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home